Mitchell Shire, with its strong connections with Victorian military history, is located less than one hour north of Melbourne in the heart of Victoria and incorporates the townships of Wallan, Kilmore, Broadford, Beveridge, Wandong, Heathcote Junction, Pyalong, Tallarook, Seymour, Puckapunyal and Tooborac.
MHHV Foundation Member
Mitchell Shire has a long military history and heritage story…the association of the area with army training camps really began in 1887 with the formation of the Seymour Troop of the Victorian Mounted Rifles. After Federation this troop became part of the 7th Australian Light Horse camped at Site 17 (now the Australian Light Horse Memorial Park in Seymour).
The rail connection, local terrain, good water supply and agreeable property owners made the area a convenient assembly point for inspections. Thus, when Lord Kitchener came to Australia in 1910 to advise the government on military matters, he inspected a major encampment at the racecourse and recommended it as a permanent military training area. When World War 1 arrived, a few years later, the permanent camp was set up and, in 1920, Seymour Shire became the chief military area in the state. This ultimately led to the establishment of the Puckapunyal camp in World War 11.
See the Light Horse Memorial Park on the Goulburn valley Highway, Seymour